Ryan's Place

Friday, September 08, 2006

Brewers Lose To Astros 3-4



From Sportsline.com:

Roy Oswalt was not in the mood to celebrate his win.

Oswalt allowed five hits in seven strong innings for his sixth victory in his last seven decisions and Aubrey Huff and Morgan Ensberg homered to help the Houston Astros stay close in the NL wild card race with a 4-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers on Friday night.

The Astros (69-71) came in five games behind the San Diego Padres for the wild card with 22 games to play in their bid for a third consecutive playoff appearance.

Oswalt (12-8) tied his season-high with nine strikeouts. His only real trouble came when he hit Damian Miller with the bases loaded to force in the tying run in the seventh. Miller dropped to the ground and laid motionless for a few moments. Astros catcher Brad Ausmus immediately knelt over him as the Brewers' trainer raced out to home plate. Miller walked off the field.

"Why would I want to hit somebody with the bases loaded?" Oswalt asked, and then explained how the pitch sailed on him. "I got half way through the pitch, and I don't know, I just let it go, and it rode up and in. When I first threw it, I thought I threw it behind him."

Oswalt said that errant pitch may be a result of getting hit in the right wrist by a line drive off the bat of the Chicago Cubs' Ronny Cedeno four starts ago.

"I just got right through my delivery and my wrist just popped," Oswalt said. "When it locked up, I just let the ball go."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home