Ryan's Place

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Hall's Home Run Clinches Extra Inning Win Against Mets



From Sportsline.com:

With his mother sitting in the stands and a pink bat in his hands, Bill Hall figured he was going to do something special to help the Milwaukee Brewers win on Sunday.

Hall figured his sacrifice bunt to set up the go-ahead run in the eighth inning might have been that moment. And if not, his long throw from deep in the hole at shortstop to preserve a one-run lead in the ninth certainly could have been.

But first baseman Prince Fielder dropped the throw, Xavier Nady was called safe and Carlos Delgado scored from third to tie the game. The Brewers would have to call on Hall again.

He delivered a two-out home run in the 10th inning to give Milwaukee a 6-5 victory over the New York Mets.

Hall was one of one of several players around the league who used pink bats on Sunday as part of a Mother's Day breast cancer fundraiser. Though he might have been tempted to ditch the bat after striking out in three of his first four appearances, he didn't.

"It had her name on it," Hall said of his mother, Vergie. "I mean, she's up there watching. Like I said, she's never let me give up, and I wasn't going to give up on the bat because I was having a tough time."

Hall gave a spare pink bat to his mother as a souvenir before she left Miller Park to make the 10-hour drive back to Nettleton, Miss., on Sunday night.

"She's the love of my life, so anything I can do special for her, I'm always up for it," Hall said.

Hall also is up for just about anything in the field. His ability to play almost any defensive position makes him especially valuable to the Brewers, although manager Ned Yost said before Sunday's game that he knows Hall deserves the honor of having his own set position.

"I'm just in the lineup, and that's all that matters to me," Hall said.

The Brewers blew leads in the seventh and ninth innings of Sunday's game, including closer Derrick Turnbow's first blown save of the season.

After giving up a game-winning home run to Paul Lo Duca in a non-save situation on Saturday, Turnbow blew his first save when Fielder couldn't hang on to Hall's throw.

But neither Yost nor Turnbow expressed concern after the game.

"I feel strong, I feel good," Turnbow said. "To me, that's the most important thing."

Jorge De La Rosa struck out two in one inning to earn the victory (2-0). Chad Bradford (2-2) took the loss by giving up Hall's homer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home