Ryan's Place

Friday, May 05, 2006

Brewers Lose Series Opener to Dodgers 3-4



From Sportsline.com:

Martin was promoted from Triple-A Las Vegas to fill in for Dioner Navarro, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a deep bone bruise on his right wrist. The 23-year-old catcher's bats hadn't arrived yet from Las Vegas, so he used Furcal's bat to get his first two hits.

Milwaukee's Jeff Cirillo was ejected by plate umpire Jerry Layne in the ninth inning, one batter after he took a disputed third strike as a pinch-hitter. Manager Ned Yost also was ejected.

"I thought it was a ball and he thought it was a strike, so we had a difference of opinion," Cirillo said. "Honestly, I never get myself thrown out of a game unless the at-bat has been dictated by the pitch in a big situation. I didn't say anything about it when I walked away, and I didn't say anything when I was in the dugout. I just kind of pointed my fingers to show him that I went up to the clubhouse to look at the video, and he threw me out."

Carlos Lee chased Lowe in the eighth with his 13th home run. Tim Hamulack then faced two batters, giving up singles to Fielder and Corey Koskie. Baez relieved Hamulack and hit Miller with a pitch. Fielder scored on Baez's wild pitch to Brady Clark - who had just six hits in his previous 39 at-bats.

Clark followed with a fly to short center, and Repko threw home to retire Koskie for the inning-ending double play as Martin held onto the ball after the ensuing collision with Clark.

"I definitely knew I had a chance," Repko said. "I was actually surprised that they sent him because it was a shallow enough ball. But they wanted to challenge me, and you still have to make a good throw."

The Dodgers got at least one hit in each of the first six innings and 10 total against left-hander Chris Capuano, who allowed three runs and 10 hits in six innings.

"It was one of those games that looked like it was going to go our way," Cirillo said. "We strung a couple of hits together, Carlos hit the homer, then we got the wild pitch to tie it. It was a tough game to lose, especially when a team is reeling like the Dodgers were and you have your best pitcher going."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home