Ryan's Place

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Brewers Lose in 12 Innings



After an untimely balk spoiled one of Brandon Webb's best outings of the season, the Arizona Diamondbacks came back to beat the Milwaukee Brewers 2-1 in 12 innings on Wednesday night.
Alex Cintron's bases-loaded single finally ended the 3-hour, 51-minute contest. His two-out line shot off a 1-2 pitch from Justin Lehr (0-1) bounced into the visitor's bullpen to send home the scattered few fans still around.

Royce Clayton singled with one out in the 12th, then Tony Clark and Shawn Green walked to load the bases with two outs and bring up Cintron. Brandon Medders (2-0) pitched a scoreless 12th for the victory.

Craig Counsell put Arizona up 1-0 with a leadoff home run in the fifth. The Brewers tied it at 1-1 in the eighth on a balk with a runner at third by Webb, who had blanked Milwaukee on three hits through seven innings.

Webb said that his pitching hand hit his thigh as he went back to throw from the stretch, and he never got rid of the ball.

"It kind of shifted the ball in my hand and I felt like I was going to lose it," Webb said. "I just couldn't make myself throw it in the ground or try to get it to the plate. I just kind of stopped my delivery."
Tomo Ohka (10-8) will face Shawn Estes (7-7) on Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home