Ryan's Place

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Brewers Lose 1-6



Woody Williams was in a jam, just as he'd been many times the past two months.

Only this time he pitched well enough to get out of trouble and beat the Milwaukee Brewers.

Williams threw six solid innings to win for the second time in 10 starts, and the San Diego Padres beat Milwaukee 6-1 Saturday night.

Williams (7-11) allowed the Brewers to load the bases with none out in the first, but retired Carlos Lee, Geoff Jenkins and Bill Hall in order to hold Milwaukee to only one run.

"They have their big boppers coming up and my back is against the wall," Williams said. "Fortunately, I was able to get out of there with only one run and settle down, make some good pitches."

The Brewers went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position in the first four innings.

"My batting average against is way high this year with runners in scoring position," Williams said. "That's not normal for my career. Tonight was nice for me. I needed that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home