Ryan's Place

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Brewers Can't Sweep Cubs



Greg Maddux wants to keep his streak alive -- the right way.

Maddux mixed efficient work on the mound with a quick glove to lead the Chicago Cubs past the Milwaukee Brewers 3-0 on Thursday.

Maddux (13-13) has won at least 15 games in a record 17 seasons. The Cubs have nine games left this year, and Chicago manager Dusty Baker has tinkered with his rotation to give Maddux the ball two more times.

"I'd love to win my last two starts," he said. "I'd like to finish over .500 personally, but you've got to go about it the right way."

Maddux did Thursday in earning his 318th career win, tying him with Phil Niekro for 15th on the career list. He plans to pursue Nolan Ryan and Don Sutton, next on the list at 324, by pitching again next season, which would be his 20th.

"I think I'm going to come back, I want to come back next year," said Maddux, who returned to the Cubs last year after 11 seasons in Atlanta. "I was under the impression that I signed a three-year deal."

But Maddux doesn't think about the streak's importance to the game, or its relevance in sports history, he said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home