Ryan's Place

Friday, September 23, 2005

Brewers Beat Cards 9-6

Struggling to get his 18th win, Chris Capuano found a way to get his most important out.
Facing Mark Grudzielanek with two runners on and two outs in the sixth inning, he induced an inning-ending groundout that preserved a tie.


Lyle Overbay hit a tiebreaking double in the bottom half, and the Milwaukee Brewers sent Chris Carpenter to his first loss in more than three months, beating the St. Louis Cardinals 9-6 Friday night.


"I didn't pitch very well tonight, but my teammates really picked me up", Capuano said. "I can't feel bad because we won. But I know I have to pitch better next time out."


Capuano (18-10) won despite a career-high eight walks. He allowed six runs and six hits in six innings, becoming the first Brewers pitcher with 18 victories since Teddy Higuera in 1987.


Before Capuano pitched to Grudzielanek, Brewers manager Ned Yost went to the mound to give Capuano a pep talk.


"I told him I didn't want to take him out of the game," Yost said. "I wanted to give him an opportunity to get through the inning so we could score some runs for him and get him his 18th win. I told him to get after him and be aggressive."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home